Sunday, August 30, 2009

Blog #1

Computers and Technology are of huge importance in today's classroom.  Technology is used every day in every subject of learning and have a large affect on ones education experience.  From student's researching information for a history project to teachers calculating grade point averages- computers have become a main necessity in classrooms.  Computers provide specific programs to make lessons clearer as well as prepare students for the world of work.  As a teacher, one should use computers as a cognitive tool in their classroom to promote analytical thinking and information management skills.  One critical concern that teachers must be aware of though is to make sure the learning environment is appropriate. Computers fit well into an environment based on the constructive theory of learning.  Here students can work with data and create spreadsheets.  Teachers must also not overuse technology in their lessons.  Students need to learn from field trips and creative hands on projects as well.   I agree with the issue that computers are extremely beneficial but teachers need to know when use is effective and appropriate.  A successful classroom would entail a mixture of technology, hands on, and lectured lesson plans.
As a teacher I would use computers as a tool to help my students gain a better understanding of the concepts they are studying.  By creating a Microsoft Powerpoint I can display information in a more clear and creative way than just lecturing.  Computers will help me stay organized with electronic attendance, entering grades, and communicating with parents.  Programs can be used to help students with specialized needs and can break it down in a fun way.  Altogether, technology will provide steps to enhance my students thinking processes.  In this class I hope to learn about programs that can enhance my classroom and tools in which I can use to benefit my students. 
All my life I have grown up wanting to be a teacher. My mom is a teacher, my aunt is a teacher, and my job for two years has been at a preschool.  But just recently I have gotten interested in exploring other majors, yet still working with children.  Therefor, I am taking psychology classes and looking into Child Psychology.  I enjoy helping people through their issues and giving advice so I am excited to see if my major will change or not.  I know no matter what though I will always want to teach- so maybe I will somehow incorporate both. :)

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! I agree with all of your points about incorporating technology into the classroom. I think that you brought up a great point that students should still be learning from field trips and creative hands on projects and not just by computers. Also, I think all of the ways that you want to use computers in the classroom are good ideas! I think its awesome that you have wanted to be a teacher your whole life! I'm also taking Child Psychology and love it so far, it would be cool if you did end up being able to teach and do Child Psychology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your view that students need to not only learn from technology, but a mixture of hands-on activities. I also think it's neat that you've always wanted to be a teacher, but you should explore other majors. I think that there's a lot you can incorporate into teaching and a double major or even a minor in Child Psychology would be very beneficial to you.

    ReplyDelete