
Using presentation software in K-12 classrooms comes with many advantages and disadvantages. It is a very good tool to use while explaining a subject or giving notes because it is clearly read and understood. Presentations appeal to students because it is shown in an organized manner and structures the information very well. Students are more likely to understand material taught to them in a clear format, such as a presentation, rather than just reading sloppy notes off of a white board. The only disadvantage that I can think of is that it does not get the classroom involved with hands on learning. Maybe if you have a smart board you could include some class participation in your slides and call on students to come to the board and work it out. I know personally one of the best ways I learned was to try it first hand.
An example where I would use PowerPoint to support student learning at each knowledge dimension on a particular lesson would be if I had my class make a powerpoint on endangered species. I would expect to see detailed graphics and supporting facts from my more advanced students. And maybe I would expect less information and more simple images from my less advanced students. I would keep the tasks simple for both knowledge dimensions but I would expect them to be researching about ten different species and including at least three facts and two pictures on each. My beginner students will most likely have more difficulty finding the facts and instead just add more images. They are more than welcome to come to me with questions though, and I will be sure to lead them to websites with the correct information.
Kids Know It Network was a good choice for this assignment. I evaluated Flickr, which isn't an educational site, but I like its design and layout.
ReplyDeleteThe website you critiqued looked like a fun and easy site for students.
ReplyDeleteI think it is good that powerpoint can be used for different levels of students, like you explained in your paragraph.
ReplyDelete